Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sunday Outreach

The Nicaraguan church that I attended on Sunday morning was putting on an activity for children in El Crucero that afternoon. So, around 2:30 we (we being Moises, Sarah – his fiancé, Laurie and myself) pulled up to a small shack, but behind it they were setting up chairs and a sound system. In less than 30 minutes almost 80 children arrived! It was incredible. They asked me to play the guitar and taught me a new song that I really like, but don’t yet understand because it is in español. Then some of the older students from the church performed dramas and skits for the children. I was extremely impressed. I loved seeing the youth from El Crucero really being involved with the church and the children. It was really cool to see the youth here doing skits, dramas, and dances like I used to do with my youth group in Trussville. What a blessing! Eventually they divided all the children into three groups to do Bible study. The event ended with the children busting a piñata. It was a mad house once the piñata broke. All the children were diving for the candy. Hilarious. It was such a fun experience.
One of the guys that taught me the Spanish song is Rudy. I have a feeling he and I are going to become close friends. He wants me to teach him guitar. He is already pretty good and is an amazing piano player. Two nights ago we played basketball and tomorrow he invited me to play volleyball with some of his friends. This is what I am really here for, relationships. Building close, intimate friendships is one of my biggest desires for the trip. That is where lives are changed for the good, both his and mine.

1 comment:

  1. i think you are a fantastic blogger. keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete