Thursday, September 16, 2010

Feliz Dia de Independencia

It is amazing how quickly time flies here. I have already been in Nicaragua for a week. Most of this week I have been trying to get access to the university, Ave Maria, whether as a student or a tutor. From talking with Cesar who works here, most likely I will become a student first and then work on becoming a paid tutor. As I was walking around the university, I noticed they were starting football practices (American football that is). So, I thought I would check it out and maybe see if I could help out in any way. I went to the field at the scheduled practice time and no one was there. I spoke with a few students nearby and they said the team was working out in the gym. Therefore, I checked the gym, and there weren't too many guys in there. Not much of a team, I thought. But I asked around and spoke with a guy about the football team. He said that a lot of the guys had graduated and they were starting fresh, but they didn't have a coach. I told them that I might be interested in helping and they seemed pretty excited about it. They even asked if I wanted to play. I guess I still have some eligibility left, right? I'm sure the collegiate league here in Nicaragua is just a little less competitive than the SEC. Maybe, like the WAC. Well, we'll see what happens with that.

This week the country has been celebrating their independence. (I believe some of the celebration is of their independence from the U.S.) So, there have been a lot of parades and activities. On Tuesday, the children of MQV marched with about 10 other schools down the middle of the main road in El Crucero. This road is actually part of the Central American Highway, and it was shut down for about 2 hours because of the parade. I found that humorous. I would hate to have been the first car stopped. You know that guys was killing himself for drinking that extra cup of coffee.

Then on Wednesday they had more activities just at MQV with some skits, dances, and songs. It was very entertaining. I enjoy seeing the kids get all excited to dress up and be a part of something formal. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment