Monday, December 14, 2009

This time the container really is here.

This past Thursday, after 3 weeks of waiting for the container to get through customs and other "legal" stuff (I put legal is quotation marks because I wouldn't really call it legal - some might call it bribery), we finally unloaded the container at MQV. There were over 900 boxes of food, more than 100 computers, and many boxes of clothes and toys. We had a lot of people come and help us unload. I am very grateful for their help, because it took us all a little over 2 hours. And I have to admit that my arms were a little sore the next day. However, I think it is kind of cool that a Jones was on both ends of the shipping process. Dad was there in Birmingham to load, and I was here in El Crucero to unload. But I bet it took Dad a lot longer, because I don't think he had as much help as we did. Thanks for all the hard work Dad.
I am writing this on my last day here in Nicaragua. It has been a good 5 weeks, but it is always difficult to leave this place. I never feel that I have completely finished all that I can do here, and I will miss all my Nica friends. Though, one cool and interesting fact is that I will be flying to Ft. Lauderdale with Moises (my first Nica friend) and Sarah (his new American wife). We didn't plan it but came to discover that we had scheduled the same flight out of Managua. So, I won't completely leave Nicaragua until we part ways in the States. It's funny, but Moises is very nervous about his trip to the States. He doesn't speak much English and will be completely out of his comfort zone, especially in Kansas where he will see his first snow. But I think he will do just fine. He is very easy-going and fun to be around.


Hasta pronto! See you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. I won't be seeing you soon, brother, but I'm glad you had a productive few weeks in Nica, and I know Mom and the rest will be excited to see you. I'm glad you were there to unload and see some of Dad's hard work come to fruition. I love you!
    Kimi

    ReplyDelete